Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Revelations in the Bath Room

Whoever said that people do their best thinking in the bath room is onto something. To clarify - in these parts, the toilet is called the choo, and the bath room is exactly what it is - a separate room in where you bathe (usually using a basin).

Anyway - last weekend I was in the bath room and I was thinking about the next day's activities (we were planning on meeting up to practice KSL, and do some homework together), when I stopped with a start and realized that I was thinking in KSL rather in ASL. I then started to think about which signs I was thinking about and how I thought - at this point, it's still a mixture of KSL, with ASL and English filling in the blanks.

There are some signs that I really like in KSL that sends across the message so much better than anything that ASL has, and other signs that just feel so unnatural and makes me cringe, and it's a really interesting process of trying to use KSL rather than ASL. It also does not help that some of the signs in KSL is influenced by ASL and many Deaf people here in Kenya have a bit of an ASL accent in their KSL.

I definitely still have quite a bit of language work to do!

No comments:

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.