Friday, May 15, 2009

The Mombasa Road

Riding the bus along the Mombasa Road for the first time ever, on 14 November 2008, when we were all jetlagged and exhausted, everything had a surreal essence to it. We gasped at the conditions of the buildings, the animals, and the people that we passed.

When we found out our sites and started to travel there two months later, Paul, Erin, and I went along the road for the second and a half time (we took half of the road back to Loitokitok after our first week, immersion week, and met the Peace Corps vehicles in Emali), and I realized that I saw a lot more now that I was not focused on the shacks, the other things that originally held our attention. On a few occasions we asked each other, "Was that always there?" "Whoa, I didn't see that before." I think the combination of being crazy ass tired and experiencing a few completely new things did us in the first time around.

Now, I've traveled on that road five times or so, (and will go on that road many more times during my service, as that is the only road to Nairobi from Mombasa, hence, the name) and the occasional baboon and zebra is starting to become ho-hum, and the surrealism is not there anymore. The pictures that are posted on this entry was taken the first time we went down that way, and for some reason, the photos has a slight touch of surrealism, which reflected the way we saw it at that time.


No comments:

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.