Friday, November 13, 2009

Back to Loitokitok

On Wednesday, I got into the Peace Corps Land Cruiser, with a major flashback to doing that exact same thing returning from Mombasa.  As we drove down the road, I exclaimed on how nice part of the road has become, only to start going off-road on some of the nastiest roads, with me laughing, and telling the PC driver that this was more what I remembered.  We slipped and swerved through the rain soaked and mud covered road and then finally reached Loitokitok. 

Today is the one-year anniversary of my group’s arrival in Nairobi.  It is amazing to actually say that I have been in Kenya for one whole year already.  Tomorrow is the one-year anniversary of our arrival, dazed and confused, in Mombasa.  The reason why I am talking about this is because meeting the new trainees has sent me numerous flashbacks to my PST, here in Loitokitok. 

The new trainees had the same questions I had, the same feelings, and the same complaints.  Regardless of all that, I am very excited about the future of PC-Kenya, as I met eleven intelligent, energetic, motivated, and excited individuals planning on working at Deaf schools across Kenya.  I am also especially excited about this year’s PST, and from the observation of two days thus far, it looks like it’s going pretty well, most definitely having a much more positive vibe than the one we had during our PST. 

So, to the PCTs set for 2010-2012, best of luck, and here’s to you and the future of PC-Kenya!

And, of course, I can’t and won’t end this entry without a shout out to my group, the 2009-2011 peeps, here’s to another fantastic year of teaching, gorgeous travels, and unforgettable friendships!

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.