Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Perfect Dive

[Full Disclosure: This was blogged with the specific purpose of putting off the packing of my bags for the trip.]

Secured in the pocket, I waited for my chance.  I have been secured, safe, and cared for over the past year, and my digits and everything about my sleek plastic body screams freedom!  When the folded pants where the aforementioned pocket is attached to was shifted from the top of the toilet tank, I saw a chance and grabbed it. 

The pocket released its grip slightly and I readied myself for the chance of a lifetime.  My dreams of doing a perfect dive were finally here.  All those times I was safely secured in bags and pockets, I have always dreamed of the day I would be able to take a three and half rotation somersault with the air rushing through my screen.  I could only hope that I would have an audience at this time that is not solely consisted of spiders. 

Suddenly I was free, my black case slipping through the grasps of demin, and I started my dive.  After the third rotation, I saw the bowl, and realized that I would not make it, so I decided to land on the floor and then jump up again to make the bowl.

It was a gorgeous thing, I tell you, I swooped right into that bowl with the grace of a swan.  After being fished out of the bowl to what I hear as thunderous applause (but most likely was a string of obscenities from my owner and laughter from her friends), I promptly went wonky and shut down. 

Even if my digits couldn’t work for a few days, the chance of a lifetime was well worth it.  I have left my mark in that baby swallower in Nakuru, and the spiders who were awed by my performance will never forget it for as long as they live.  

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.