Wednesday, January 6, 2010

“I can’t think of a better way to start the year …”

Said the United States Ambassador to Kenya at the swearing-in ceremony today at his house, in combination with the celebration of 45 years of Peace Corps service in Kenya, and I have to agree with him.  Twenty-five Math/Science and Deaf Education trainees became Peace Corps Volunteers, ready to embark on their two years service.  I watched these great people talk about their uncertain future, what will happen when they get to their sites, and just basically wondering what the hell they got themselves into.  

I remember the days I wondered what the hell I got myself into, one of which definitely was the swearing-in day, a year ago, and watching the ceremony sent me spinning a year ago into my memories.  Today made me miss my training group, their individuality, their quirks, and most of all, the fact that we spent eight insane weeks together at the end of 2008. I have to say, 2009 was a year of ups and down, although it was more ups than downs, and for that, I am grateful.  Regardless of the fact that our training group lost way too many qualified and intelligent people that I was proud to call friends, I found a home, a school that I loved working at, students who inspired me to continue working on the days I thought that nothing was going my way, neighbors who would invite me into their homes for beans and chapati, of course, the fantastic volunteers that makes up the support system I would depend on, who will be lifelong friends, and I would be remiss if I did not mention the fact that my gorgeous niece who would always put a smile on my face was born.  2009 also ended with a fantastic trip back to the States, seeing my family and friends (and celebrating the births of Olivia and Spencer!), ushering in the year with one of my best friends and a group of cool RPCVs who told me stories of their experience in Kenya.  

Overall, 2009 felt good. 

Starting 2010 with the final few days of PST with the new volunteers, with their swearing-in ceremony, I rode the positive vibes, which I hope would continue to be the case for most of the year.  Tonight we are going out for Mexican and some serious dancing, so as I write this blog entry and get ready to head out, donning the cool t-shirt I got from Kris (thanks, Kris!), I thought, the only way this would be better was if my training class was here, but it’s all good.

Happy New Year, everyone!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Wow, swearing in already?! Time just goes by waaaay too fast. Reading your blog is making me wish that I was there.

Regardless, I'm so glad you had a great trip back to the States and know that we'll still be in touch!

Happy 2010, Ms. Lewis!

XO

Norma said...

You were no slouch yourself :) It was cool hearing stories of "new" PC/Kenya! Glad I got to say karibu to 2010 with you! Will upload pictures soon. Mexican food? Pray, tell me about this place.

Unknown said...

Sar, yep swearing in already! Yesterday was my 1 year anniversary of MY swearing-in ... scary! I'll email you soon (internet willing, grin) -

Norma - Mexican food, yeah! It was surprisingly good - place is named Iguana in Westlands ... when you come for GRO we can check it out.

Char

M Tech Computers said...

mtechcomputers

regards
m tech computers

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.