Saturday, January 16, 2010

Mythology of the Snake

Upon return to my house from the travels and holidays, I was accosted by a couple of my neighbors who told me of a snake trying to enter my house.  We walked around in the house and found no snake, then they started to tell me the epic tale of the valiant battle between the neighborhood of Kibarani and the snake.  

A house girl working for my headmaster began the story, as she walked around my house, she saw a snake trying to get into my house via the kitchen door.  Terrified, she ran to find the other neighbors and after much discussion, it was decided that some paraffin would be poured down my door to prevent the snake entering and wrecking havoc.  Apparently it proved very effective as my neighbors proudly said that the snake left and my house is declared snakeless.

Now my kitchen door smells faintly of paraffin.  At least the neighbors did not set fire to my house in the process of trying to get the snake out.  If they did that, in fact, I would not be too surprised - Kenyans hate snakes with a passion that may only rival their passion for football (soccer to y'all Americans). 

The snake holds a place of importance to Kenyan - all their fables and myths set up the snake as the villian, even today in medical and education settings.  For example, we were boggled when one of the KISE (Kenya Institute for Special Education) teachers was giving a presentation of causes of Deafness in Kenya to the new volunteers in Machakos, he said that looking at a black snake made you go Deaf, and that they should be careful of black snakes.  

Talking with the educated Kenyan teachers and other professionals working for various organizations, almost all of them expressed a distaste for snakes.  Some of them knew that the fear and distaste was slightly irrational but all of them have stories of various relatives and friends dying from snakebite.  When I told them that the same widespread fear of snakes does not exist in the U. S., and in fact, my brother and dad at one time had something like six pet snakes, I could see the disbelief creeping into the faces.  

Even the nursery children I taught last year were well versed in the folklore and mythology of the snake before they even got language.  When I taught the sign for snake in KSL, along with a drawing on the blackboard of the snake, everyone from the 4 years old to the 16 years old cringed and signed bad! bad! hate! hate!  They told stories of their parents, older siblings and family friends killing snakes and telling the kids no, no, bad, bad!  

So, careful of that black snake, y'hear!  

6 comments:

TreeFeathers said...

Hi there, I'm a friend of your cousin Bob in New Mexico. I was just wondering, are black snakes there poisonous or otherwise dangerous? Or are they like the common black snake in the US here (big and scary but harmless, good for keeping mice at bay)? I really enjoy reading about your adventures!

- Grace

Anonymous said...

Snakes in Kenya are generally bad news. Kenya's "Black Snake" is the Black Mamba, and it's bite is deadly ( it can kill you within minutes). Kenya is home to a bunch of poisonous snakes, only one that I came across in my time there in 2004. The most common are the Mamba, Puff Adder, King Cobra, Red Cobra, and Spitting Cobra. You don't see Boomslang's much.

TreeFeathers said...

Oh! I guess the Black Mamba is a snake worth being afraid of! Guess I'd rather have the mice...

Your blog is really interesting to read. My stepmother is deaf, and I've had a few friends in the Peace Corps, so I double enjoy reading about everything you do there. You're a very entertaining writer, thanks for sharing with us!

- Grace

zlotte said...

Thanks, Grace for taking the time to read my blog and comment!

Anyway, yes, Jessesa is more or less correct - there's many poisonous snakes, and I suspect that there's also a lot of non-poisonous snakes ... but I don't really see many of either out here in the Coast. In the Central and Eastern provinces, it's more common to see the mambas (green and black) - one of the volunteers working there was startled to see a green mamba sitting on the corner of his front porch. Nothing happened, no worries, it basically just slithered away and that was the end of that.

Tho for keeping mice at bay, you could look into getting a nice friendly boa constrictor! :-)

Thanks again for reading -

Char

Anonymous said...

Hi! I live next door in Uganda. Got here by chance. Googled 'paraffin to keep snakes away'. I read just this one post and I think I am bookmarking you for later. And getting a boa too!

M Tech Computers said...

mtechcomputers

regards
m tech computers

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.