Sunday, May 23, 2010

Kigali & Nyamata

Rwanda was beautiful and it was hard to believe that the genocide occurred there fifteen years ago - I was fourteen and did not really pay much attention to the world history as I was just navigating my first year at high school, especially it being 300 miles away from where my family lived.  Regardless, this trip to Kigali was very educational and inspiring.  I was inspired by the people who continues to work at these memorials and told us to keep talking about this, the more pictures we took, the better.  It was hard for us to take pictures in the church, specifically of the human remains, but the staff there told us to please go ahead and take pictures - that way more people talk about it, and hopefully it won't be forgotten.  Out of respect, these pictures won't be posted, and I'll show the photos I took to those who ask. 

Outside of the genocide museum - along the concrete blocks that are used as memorials for the people who died during the genocide of 1994.


One of the crypts outside of the church with the remains of some of the 10,800 people who was killed in the church.


The window of the church - it was hard to believe that such an innocent looking window of a church would harbour such stories of death.



Kigali skyline - finally, a city with a beautiful lighted up skyline.  This is the view from the courtyard of the hotel we stayed at.

No comments:

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.