Saturday, September 4, 2010

Inspiration is Contagious

Outside one window, there was a fistfight going on between two matatu conductors, outside the opposite window, hawkers were hawking every type of DVDs imaginable, and I knew, with these sights, now that we were in Nairobi. My students, all six of ‘em were standing up trying to absorb every sight – it was the first time that some of them had seen Nairobi.

“When we get off – we’ll need to rush to the shuttle bus to the camp, so just try to follow me – I’ll make sure that everyone’s still with me.” I said, when the bus started to slow down and reach the disembarking location. We got off, started filing down the street, and I looked back, seeing the boy from the dry and desert-like Hola with his mouth wide open in amazement, taking in every sight he could – I realized – he had never seen buildings so tall in real life. Content that everyone was still following me, I continue down the street, waiting for everyone to gather up before I crossed the street – asking everyone if they were all right, shining eyes and smiles were all the answer they could muster, and all the answer I needed.

After a few more turns and twists, we got to the Embassy bombing site, the pre-arranged meet site with the rest of the students and a few of the staff of Global Reach Out. The bus had just barely enough room for the students, and they jumped into the bus, ready for their week long Kenya Youth Leadership Camp.

Greeting Norma and Allen, we caught up, talked about complications and expectations of what was coming up over the following week – it made me all that more excited about what my students will learn and the people they would meet, get to know, and hopefully look up to as future leaders of the Deaf community in Kenya. The excitement is regardless of the long trip from the Coast – every time I travel on that bus to Nairobi, it gets longer and longer, and more and more painful … and the fact that the school that the camp was held at have been putting up barriers and problems left and right for the staff of GRO.

Greeting a few old friends from last year’s KYLC, and from various other settings, I hugged some Kenyan delegates and introduced myself to the Americans of whom were all in college (making me realize that it was almost ten years since I graduated from Gallaudet – I’m getting old!). My realizations of how much older I was – was all swept away when one of the American delegates asked me if I was a teacher or a student. With a few chuckles, I replied, that indeed, yes, I was a teacher. Continuing into the dining hall, I put down my bag, and started to take a gaze around and the dining hall, watching the hands fly everywhere excitedly.

It is always an amazing feeling for me to be in an all-Deaf environment even if I had been in this environment numerous times, where everyone, except for some of the school’s staff, was Deaf. It was a breather and a relief for me, as the recent term, for various reasons, was one of my toughest, not only for me but also for quite a few of my volunteer friends. Sitting in the dining hall, in a fancy neighborhood in Nairobi, where a technical school for the Deaf was located, eating traditional Kenyan fare with my students, I found myself chatting up a storm with them and in a grand mood. Hell, why wouldn’t I be in a good mood? I was set to work with smart young Americans and Kenyans, hopefully creating a new class of inspired leaders of Kenya. After this week, I was set to go to South Africa with two of the coolest people I know. Of course, I was in a grand mood.

After dinner, a couple of the delegates started the program and discussed rules and expectations – during the first few questions, my students cautiously asked me if their answers were good enough, “If I say, ‘No Stealing.’ would that be a good answer?”

“What do you think?” I asked them.

“I think it’s a good answer.”

“Then go with it!”

I watched as their bright eyes become more confident, answering questions without asking me for approval, and interacting with the older students in the Western, Nyzanza, Central, and Nairobi provinces.

“Be proud of being from Pwani!” I told them repeatedly over the school year. “Even if we’re a new school, lacking a lot of materials, have some problems, always be proud of being students here.” I think they finally realized what I meant by saying this – other secondary schools had storied leaders come out of their schools, some embarking to such heights that their leadership was impossible to ignore when you look at the history of the Kenyan Deaf community. I watched the Kenyan delegates, some recently out of secondary school, all of them coming out from the Western and Nyanza provinces, they taught, they laughed, they worked, and interacted with the American delegates and students.

“Kisumu is where the next KYLC should be at!” One of the Kenyans said during lunch to cheers from some of the other delegates and to a bit of confusion from the American delegates.

“No way! The West has enough leaders! It’s time to focus on the Coast! Coast, all the way!” I said with a laugh, standing up for my province and home for the past year and a half. Amidst laughter all around from delegates, we had a friendly banter on who lived in the better province.

Throughout the week, we worked hard, eighteen hour days, suffering from sleep deprivation (and in my case yet another bout of Mister G), hashing out workshops, planning the next day’s schedule, identifying problems and addressing them, and laughing hysterically at Benard’s imitation of all GRO staff and support staff. The students learned loads about being future leaders, met many prominent people in the Kenya Deaf community, and shared their ideas and thoughts in discussions held by GRO staff.

The kids loved every minute of it – again, the same complaint came up this year – that KYLC simply wasn’t long enough even if they lengthened it by a few more days. After a week’s worth of education, blue and orange tee-shirts, a safe and orderly election in which the Kenyan constitution was passed, I got my kids ready to head back to the Coast, and took them into Nairobi and put them on the bus.

Watching my students leave, I breathed a huge sigh of relief, a huge responsibility off my back – I thought about how well the program went, and as a mini-reward, I decided to treat myself to a cup of cappuccino before I headed back. As I rode back, I thought, that was quite inspiring, regardless of all the problems. Even now, a month after the program, I realized that I don’t really remember the problems, only how positive the entire experience was for myself, as well as my students, and I can imagine for the rest of people involved.

Like GRO’s motto stated, “Inspiration is Contagious”, I was inspired, and I couldn’t think of a better way of wiping out a tough term and getting ready for an exciting trip.

No comments:

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.