Monday, December 10, 2007

Peaks of Breckenridge


As you can see - there's peaks above the ski areas - the ones that I could not see in the white out the other day, and over this weekend. There's areas on the mountain called Peak 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 - I believe you can see from L to R, Peak 9, 8 and 7. This was taken on Wellington just before you enter the downtown / happening portion of Breck.

Yesterday was the first time I saw the sun in three or four days, as well as more than 500 feet in the front of me, very nice. We now have about two feet of snow right now. One of our windows in the living room is now level with the snow - the roommate and I were trying to figure out how much of the window will be blocked by the time we're done with the snow.

/////////////

Drove to Denver on Saturday afternoon to catch a flick and see a couple of friends - which is right up there in the top five of the stupidest things I have ever did. I thought that the snow wasn't that bad, and that the highway should be all right. Hahahah. Understatement of the week, possibly of the year ... we'll see when 2007's done). The first fifteen miles there were no exit for me to turn around and head back home, so was stuck on the highway - we all were creeping about 2 mph, the cars with two wheel drive were swerving all over the place, some skidding across three lanes. Even some cars/trucks with AWD / 4WD were skidding (including yours truly), but as soon as we went through the Eisenhower tunnel, it was easier, and I decided to go ahead and get to Denver.

I didn't see ANY accidents on the way (not including cars that decided to wait it out on the shoulders of the highway), which speaks volumes of how well Coloradoians know how to drive in snow and bad weather - I remember back in DC when it snowed two inches, I saw the results of four accidents from a friend's apartment window at the same time.

I decided to crash at Denver - didn't want to make the same stupid mistake of driving back to Breck at 1:30a (which probably would be worse as it was still snowing) and the next morning, it cleared up, and I finally was able to enjoy the scenery on I-70 between Denver and Frisco. Exiting the Eisenhower tunnel and seeing a huge valley and Silverthorne in the distance was breathtaking, so breathtaking I forgot to take a picture (I was also busily using my favorite liquid to clear the windshield...), sorry folks. There's always the next time.

Oh, the movie ... was supposed to watch Beowulf rear window captioned ... and guess what happened? Anyone? Veterans of RWC? The CD didn't work. Ack. I did all that driving for a stupid broken CD. Oh well. I had a great time with the people, so it was all good.

TIP OF THE DAY: Online Traffic Reports. They ROCK. I should have looked at them before I left Breck on Saturday - guess that's one of the many ways that NYC spoiled me.

2 comments:

zlotte said...

people who use blogger - how do you put back the line spacing under the pic? anyone know? Merci!

Der Sankt said...

i think your saying "it'll all fit in the car," the day we moved out was the understatement of the year!

we ended up restuffing the storage!

Der Sankt

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.