Tuesday, April 6, 2010

The Games

The Provincial Games were held at Sahajanand Special School at Mtwapa, the school where another volunteer, Mary works at.  This year was like night and day in comparison to last year's experience in the Games.  I was relaxed, I knew what to do, I knew my kids, and I knew what to expect.  We had a lot of water (so nothing like The Water Problem at Ziwani last year), insane amounts of cake (seriously, people, two huge chunks of cake at every meal), and everyone had a good time (regardless of the major epidemic of pink eye).

Kilifi District rocked, and sent many kids to the Nationals which will occur this week in Thika, not far from Nairobi.  This year is also the first year that Pwani Secondary has participated in the games, and because there are no other secondary schools in the Coast, most of the kids who are competing will go to Thika to compete with other secondary and tech schools in Kenya (of which there are only four others, if my numbers are correct).  I'm proud of my kids.  





Kids waiting for balloons and face painting.


They were a total hit with everyone - from the 8 years old to the 20 years old.


Kilifi District's tent - watching the track and field activities.



Kilifi boys playing football against the Malindi district.


Mary talking with a few students from Pwani Secondary.


Joyce and Shukurani braiding my hair while we watch the Pwani Secondary boys play football against the vocational program at Ziwani.

No comments:

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.