Sunday, May 11, 2008

channeling jack kerouac - road trip number two

On The Road by Jack Kerouac was a book I read several times - and just reread before I headed to Colorado - parts of the book stuck with me, especially some of the crazy drives from Denver out to California that Jack and his friends made.

Granted, I am not making the exact same trip, and definitely using much less drugs (yay for vicodin!) than he and his buddies did, I am feeling a bit philosophical about this road trip - I am doing something I have always remembered wanting to do, go up north in California on the Pacific Coast Highway - so I took a few pictures of the open road. I took the back roads in Colorado, stopping by Telluride for a bit before continuing into New Mexico.

Without further ado - the pictures of some of the backroads / parts of Colorado.


Telluride! Gorgeous little town surrounded by mountains.




And now, the sort of warm New Mexico - it never rose above 50 degrees when I drove through. I think the thermometer in my car must have gotten sick of me looking at it despairingly as I drove south. I keep telling it to rise. It did the opposite throughout Colorado, and then finally obeyed my command in New Mexico, but it definitely underperformed.


After staying in New Mexico for one night, I continued to Phoenix where it was blissfully 85 degrees and where my old college roommate and her family lived with their kids, age 3 and 1, who were insane bundles of energy, but they rated highly on the awesome and adorable scale. You can see the insane amount of energy they had because I plumb forgot to take a picture of the girls.

It was a good start to the road trip.

No comments:

DISCLAIMER

This blog consists of my personal thoughts and opinions. It does not in any way reflect the position of the United States Government or the Peace Corps.